Reading Library District Center
Reading Public Library serves as the District Center for all the public libraries in Berks County. It coordinates activities, collaboration, and shared resources among the libraries of the district; acts as an intermediary between the libraries and the state (Office of Commonwealth Libraries); and provides support and assistance to library staff and boards, mainly through the district consultant librarians.
The Reading District consists of:
- 19 state funded libraries that are also members of the BCPL System.
- 2 state funded independent libraries
- 4 library branches
- A total service population of 410,000+
The District Center provides:
- Leadership, coordination and consultation to local libraries
- A District Consultant Librarian and a District Youth Services Consultant Librarian who work closely with library directors, board, and youth services staff to provide professional library knowledge, materials, and support for all aspects of library operations, activities, and structure
- District-wide Interlibrary Loan service and assistance
- Access to professional reference services & resources, including the Mobile Tech Van which travels to libraries to offer reference and technology assistance
- Access to a large and robust collection of materials for all interests, ages, and library needs; including a local history and genealogy collection
- Continuing Education opportunities for staff and boards of all district libraries
- The OverDrive/Libby platform of e-resources; including management of the account, content, reports, and material purchases from all district libraries
- Databases available to library users of all district libraries: HeritageQuest (genealogy), and ValueLine (investments)
- Support and management of the Polaris ILS for all district libraries, as well as Polaris training for all library staff
- Email service and support for all district libraries
- Memberships to professional organizations to support and benefit the work of all the libraries
- Leadership, coordination, and consultation in regards to training for new library directors, youth services staff, and library trustees
Join your local library as we visit community partners throughout Berks County! Explore these amazing locations with us for FREE on these special dates.
Have you participated in Library Days before? Take this survey to tell us more about your experience.
Explore billions of American and international genealogical records dating back to the 1700s. HeritageQuest is a comprehensive treasury of American and international genealogical records—rich in unique primary sources, local and family histories, convenient research guides, interactive census maps, and more. Accessible from within the library and from home. Your library card number will be required to access outside of the library.