Get a Library Card
Who Can Get a Card
A Reading Public Library card is available at no cost to anyone who lives in Pennsylvania and will give you access to RPLs physical collection. Any RPL cardholder who lives, works, or goes to school in the city of Reading will additionally have access to the digital collection, which includes Hoopla and Libby.
Children’s cards are issued to resident children (17 years and younger) with parent/guardian signature and identification. Teens age 15 to 17 with a photo ID are able to obtain an eCard or Welcome card without a parent/guardian signature.
How to Get a Library Card
You will need valid Photo Identification indicating you live in Berks County or in Reading if you are applying for a Reading Public Library Card*. If you live outside the area but work or go to school in Berks County or Reading, you will be asked to provide information to indicate that during the registration process.
- Any form of valid government issued photo ID
- Proof of residency (if current address not listed on your photo ID)
* If you do not have a valid proof of address you may still be eligible to receive an eCard. You will need a photo ID issued by the government, your employer, or school. An eCard gives you access to the library computers and digital resources.
There are two ways to register for a library card:
- Get your card online. Fill out the online registration form, including your email address. We will ask you to email a picture of your driver’s license or valid PA photo ID card to us. We will create your account within 48 hours.
- Visit your closest library in Berks to fill out a registration form. Be sure to bring your valid photo ID.
What Can You Do With Your Card?
Library Card Policies
- New RPL patrons receive a Welcome Card with limited borrowing privileges. A maximum of 5 items may be borrowed at one time. No limit on borrowing digital items. Welcome Cards convert to full privilege cards after 6 months provided no more than $10 is owed for lost or damaged materials.
- You are responsible for everything checked out on your library card. If your card is lost/stolen please contact us immediately to have the card invalidated.
- Let us know if your contact information changes (address, phone number, email address).