It’s easy to get online with an RPL HotSpot. If you have a Library card, you can check out a hotspot for free. Use it to connect your tablet, laptop or other Wi-Fi-enabled device. You can borrow an RPL HotSpot for 4 weeks.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use:
- Full Access Adult library card in good standing
- Borrower is limited to checking out one (1) hotspot device at a time
- Customer can be placed on a waiting list once the current hotspot has been returned
- Available at all RPL locations.
My device will not connect to the hotspot / will not stay connected
A hotspot connects to nearby cellular towers, just like a smartphone does, and then wirelessly shares its data connection with nearby Wi-Fi-enabled devices, like a laptop. Your hotspot device needs to connect to a T-mobile cell tower in order to function. Signal strength will vary based on the physical location of your hotspot.
- Move the device to a different location. For example, try setting it by a window or taking it to a different side of the house, so it can more easily connect with a T-mobile cell tower.
- Restart the hotspot and your personal device.
- Check to see that the Wi-Fi connection on your personal device is turned on. This can be done in the settings menu on your device.
- Make sure the hotspot is not more than 30 feet away from your personal device. The connection strength will be weaker if your device is farther away from the hotspot.
- 1 case
- 1 hotspot device
- 1 micro USB cable
- 1 wall charger
Hotspot kits are available for checkout at the circulation desks at the any Reading Public Library branch.
Yes, a hold can be placed by calling the library at 610.655.6350 or speaking with staff at any RPL location. One (1) hotspot hold may be placed on a library card at a time.
Customers are notified when their hotspot hold is available. Once notified, customers have 8 days to check out the hotspot before the hold is cancelled.
Once placed, a hold on a hotspot cannot be paused but you may cancel or edit the hold (change pick-up location, contact information etc).
You can borrow a hotspot kit for four weeks. Hotspots may be renewed in person at the lending library if there are no holds on it. If there are pending holds, you can place a hold on a hotspot for future borrowing when a hotspot becomes available.
Please return your hotspot kit to the main desk of the branch where you originally checked it out. Hotspots may not be returned in a book drop, nor may they be returned to a different library.
Customers are charged a late fee of $1 per day to a max of $15 for hotspot kits that are returned past the due date. Customers are responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the hotspots and/or cords, adapters, cases, etc.
The wireless service on the hotspot will be turned off if the hotspot is not returned on the due date.
If individual parts of the kit are lost or damaged, the following replacement costs will be the responsibility of the borrower.
- Hotspot device replacement fee: $50
- Charger cord replacement: $2.50
- USB adapter replacement: $2.50
- Case replacement: $10
If the entire hotspot kit is lost or damaged, please contact the location where you checked it out immediately. The total kit replacement fee is $50.
Up to ten (10) devices can be connected to the hotspot device at one time. Each device has its own unique secure password found in the device’s menu options.
No, the hotspot device only functions in the United States and where a T-Mobile signal is available. Visit www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map to see where T-Mobile coverage is available.
If you need help connecting your personal device to the hotspot, please call the library at 610.655.6350 to speak with a Librarian.